A bit about us … Helensburgh and Lomond Autism/Aspergers Society(HALASS) was formed in May 2014 when a small group of local parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) recognised that there was no dedicated organisation in the area for individuals with ASD and their families. Since its beginning the group has continued to grow and offer support in a number of ways. The group became a registered charity on the 5th September 2014.
What the group can provide:-
• Support meetings where parents/carers can come together and get ideas on how best to support our fantastic children
• Training/Information Seminars for parents and carers
• Activities for families, in environments where everyone feels supported and understood.
These include Hydro Pool Sessions, Yoga Class, Drama Workshop Youth Club, Day Trips and many more.
We also have private and community Facebook pages, where individuals can chat openly about their own personal concerns, triumphs, and even share a joke or two. One member was quoted as saying “I find the Facebook page a great source of information and support”.
In order to fund our activities we have been lucky enough to have received grant funding from Argyll & Bute Council, Waitrose, The Co-operative. The group have also held a few fundraisers, the largest of which was a Quiz Night. Still Game’s, Jane McCarry & Mark Cox were in attendance.
Training and support meetings for Parents/ Carers. We also have a parent/ carer night out every month.
- Hydrotherapy Pool – The group have 2 private sessions booked each week. The children and their families can have a quiet experience in a safe environment.
- Weekly Youth Club – The children have a range of activities to suit all needs.
- Art Classes – We held 12 weeks of Art classes for the children and their families. This was well attended and we may do this again in the future.
- Drama Workshops – We held a family drama workshop that was enjoyed by all who attended.
- Soft Play Sessions – We used to have Gogglebox every fortnight. We are currently looking for a new venue due to the closure of Gogglebox.
- Holiday Trips – Blair Drummond, Kelburn Park, Vikingar, Heads of Ayr, Dynamic Earth, Edinburgh Zoo, Finlaystone Park, Canal Boat Trip.